5 BENEFITS OF A HOLISTIC SKIN CONSULTATION
It can be a daunting experience starting a new treatment.
“Will it work this time?” “How much will it cost?” “What will I have to change?”
These are all valid questions we deserve to have answered before we commit to a new therapy and practitioner. Whilst there are no guarantees, knowing what to expect can help make the process that little bit easier and put in place some realistic expectations.
Many patients who decide to take a more holistic approach to their skin treatment often share a similar story of past experience, some of which include;
- “I’ve tried everything and nothing worked”
- “I just didn’t feel listened too”
- “I’m concerned about the side effects”
Whatever the story, the motivation behind taking more holistic approach is to find a safe, effective and natural treatment which takes into consideration the whole person and not just the symptoms.
When it comes to the skin, a holistic approach can have many benefits, including;
1. Getting to the root cause: Chronic skin conditions can have multiple triggers, including those coming from inside and outside the body. Addressing the triggers as well as the skin itself, helps to get to the root cause, ensuring longer lasting results
2. A treatment designed for you: A key benefit of a holistic approach is that it takes into consideration the uniqueness of the individual being treated. Therefore, instead of a one size fits all approach, treatments can be customised according to your needs
3. Feel listened to: Holistic consultations typically allow for longer appointment times so that a thorough examination can take place and your story can be heard. After all, you know your body better than anyone and therefore sharing your story can provide key insights for your practitioner
4. Promote healing, naturally: Holistic treatments typically take a more natural approach, utilizing nutritional, herbal, dietary and lifestyle medicines to not only promote healing but to restore balance and strength to the body’s systems
5. Feel empowered: A holistic practitioner aims to empower the patient with knowledge, so that they can not only understand the nature of their condition better, but also play a key role in managing, preventing and healing the condition going forward. Often patients with chronic skin conditions feel powerless and that their body is ‘broken’ or misbehaving in some way. The alternative perspective is that your body is simply reacting in a protective manner in response to your current environment. By understanding your body’s needs you can make more informed decisions and take back that control over your health.